Philly cheesesteaks are such a great comfort food, but they can get very high in calories with all that bread! This version has all those great flavours, minus the bread. Trust me, you won’t even miss the carbs!
This recipe is not too difficult to execute, and the outcomes are so delicious!
- 2 long red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 small yellow onions, sliced
- 7 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- ½ pound (225 g) beef steak slices (sirloin, flank)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- slices of provolone cheese (I used caciocavallo cheese)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place the red bell peppers cut side up on a baking dish lined with aluminum foil.
3. Roast for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat up oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
5. Add onions, mushrooms, and green bell peppers, and cook while stirring until soft.
6. Add steak slices and season with salt and pepper.
7. Cook and stir occasionally for about 3 minutes.
8. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, let it reduce, and turn off heat.
9. Once the red bell peppers are out of the oven, add some cheese slices on the bottom of each one, stuff them with the steak mixture and add some more cheese slices on top.
10. Broil on medium heat (400°F) for 2 minutes, just until the cheese is bubbly and golden. This step might take less time or longer depending on your oven so keep checking on them!
11. Serve right away with Dijonnaise (creamy Dijon mustard blend) and cornichons!