These Grapefruit-Cardamom Donuts are so fluffy and delicious! The glaze is naturally sweetened with golden raisins. The raisins really accentuate the citrus-bitterness of the grapefruits.
Recipe for the donuts is modified from: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/doughnuts-with-grapefruit-curd-and-citrus-sugar
– ¾ cup milk
– ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise
– 2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast (1 ¼ ounce envelope)
– 1 large egg
– 2 tbsp honey
– 1 tsp salt
– 2 ¾ cups a.p. flour, plus more for dusting
– ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into small pieces
– canola oil for frying
Grapefruit-Cardamom glaze ingredients:
– 3 grapefruits
– 2 cardamom pods
– ¼ cup golden raisins, chopped
1. Heat milk in microwave just until slightly warmed.
2. Pour milk into the bowl of stand mixer, scrape in vanilla seeds.
3. Add 1 tbsp sugar, sprinkle yeast over, and stir slightly.
4. Let sit in a warm place until yeast starts to foam, around 5 minutes.
5. Add honey, egg, salt and mix gently until combined.
6. Add 2 ¾ cup flour and mix with dough hook on medium speed until dough comes together into a mass that no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl.
7. Reduce speed to medium-low; add butter a couple pieces at a time, mixing it in completely after each addition.
8. Turn out dough onto a work surface and knead with your hands until smooth and springy.
9. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, around 2 hours.
10. Make the Grapefruit-Cardamom glaze during this time.
11. After the dough has risen, turn it out on a lightly floured surface, and roll it out to about ½ inch thickness.
12. Cut out shapes using doughnut cutter or 2 cookie cutters, one big and one smaller.
13. Reroll any scraps of dough.
14. Place donuts onto floured parchment paper lined baking tray.
15. Cover with plastic wrap or clean kitchen towel and let sit for about 45 minutes.
16. Pour oil into large pot (about 2 inches high), turn on medium high heat, and let oil heat up.
17. Fry donuts, not too much at a time, depending on your pot size, around 3 is good.
18. Flip halfway through using metal slotted spoon, until golden brown.
19. Place fried donuts on a tray lined with double paper towels to drain and cool.
20. Spoon glaze over donuts and enjoy right away!
21. Store plain donuts in airtight container for up to 3 days.
Make Grapefruit-Cardamom glaze:
1. Slice off the tops and bottoms of the grapefruits, and cut off the peel, save it!
2. Slice off most of the white rind from the grapefruits and discard.
3. Cut off segments of grapefruit and place in medium sized pot. Squeeze out most of the juices from the remaining flesh into the pot. Discard any seeds.
4. Blend this using immersion blender, then turn on heat and let boil.
5. Lightly pound the cardamom pods to open, and add them to the grapefruit juices.
6. Add the raisins, cover the pot halfway, and reduce heat.
7. Let cook on low heat, for about 1 hour.
8. Turn off heat, cover pot and let soak for about 30 minutes.
9. Place this mixture in food processor and puree until very smooth.
10. Pour glaze into glass bowl and let cool completely.
11. Spoon the glaze over cooled donuts and enjoy!