This version of Caesar salad is so amazing! What takes this to the next level is the homemade Caesar vinaigrette. It is packed with so much flavour and harmonizes so well with every component in the salad!
There are a few steps to this recipe, but the results are beautifully delicious! You will definitely want to make this Kale-Spinach Chicken Caesar again!
– 2 large garlic cloves
– 1 (50 g, 2 oz) can anchovies packed in oil, drained
– 2 tbsp capers
– 1 egg
– 1 tsp dijon mustard
– 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
– freshly ground black pepper
– 1 chicken breast, 2 halves
– couple squeezes fresh lemon juice
– dash of Italian seasoning
– sprinkles of salt and pepper
Croutons: (you could buy ready-made ones)
– soft bread roll, cut into cubes
– canola oil spray
– Italian seasoning
Salad base and toppings:
– Spinach, pre-washed
– Kale leaves, washed and dried
– grated parmesan cheese
– optional: chopped kalamata olives
1. Roast chicken: Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Rub the chicken breasts with lemon juice, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
3. Line a small baking dish with aluminum foil, and spray with non-stick cooking oil.
4. Place the marinated chicken breasts on the dish and spray the top with more oil.
5. Roast in preheated oven for 25 minutes and broil the top for 5 minutes.
6. Let the chicken cool on counter top before slicing.
7. Make dressing: Place garlic, anchovies and capers in food processor and blend until ingredients are finely minced.
8. In bowl, whisk the egg and the mustard.
9. Whisk in the garlic mixture and lemon juice.
10. While whisking, slowly pour in the olive oil in a thin strand to create a thick emulsion.
11. Again, while whisking pour in the vegetable oil in a thin strand. Keep adding the oil while whisking fast until it’s a vinaigrette consistency.
12. Whisk in the parmesan and black pepper. Taste and add more black pepper if needed.
13. Store this Caesar vinaigrette in the fridge until ready to use.
14. Make croutons: Preheat the oven to 400°F.
15. Line a baking tray with aluminum foil and add the bread cubes on it.
16. Spray the bread cubes with canola oil and lightly sprinkle the tops with salt and Italian seasoning.
17. Bake for 5 minutes. Let cool on counter until ready to use.
18. Arrange and plate salad: Tear up the kale leaves with your hands and add to a bowl along with some spinach. Add a couple spoons of dressing on top and toss together.
19. Add tossed spinach and kale to a plate. Top with grated parmesan cheese, kalamata olives, croutons and sliced roasted chicken breast.
20. Serve, eat and enjoy!