Fatteh is a traditional Middle-Eastern dish prepared in various ways. The base ingredients are chickpeas, pita bread and garlic-yogurt. Then, some countries add beef, chicken or eggplant to the mix. I like this version with roasted eggplant, and I also roasted the chickpeas with some spices for some extra flavour!
This Roasted Eggplant and Chickpea Fatteh recipe is very delicious! So many great flavours merge together for ultimate taste!
For roasted eggplant:
– 2 large eggplants
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– juices of 1 lemon, around 3 – 4 tbsp
– 1 garlic clove, mashed
For roasted chickpeas:
– 1 (19 oz, 540 ml) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– ½ tsp salt
– ¼ tsp cumin
– ¼ tsp ground coriander
– ¼ tsp cayenne
– ¼ tsp allspice
– 1/8 tsp ground ginger
– 1/8 tsp ground cloves
– 3 cups plain Greek yogurt
– 1 large (or 2 small) garlic cloves, mashed
– 2 tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
– 1 tsp salt
For toasted pita bread:
– 1 large pita bread circle (whole wheat)
– pine nuts
– shredded mint leaves
– pomegranate seeds
1. Roast eggplant: Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Line a large baking tray with aluminum foil, and spray with non-stick cooking oil.
3. Wash, dry and slice the eggplants into cubes, and place on tray in an even layer. In the picture, I sliced a small eggplant into a fan motion and then placed in on the tray.
4. Lightly dab each eggplant top with olive oil.
5. Sprinkle some salt all over the eggplant cubes.
6. Roast in oven for 30 minutes.
7. Transfer the roasted eggplant to a dish with sides.
8. Stir the mashed garlic clove with the lemon juice and spoon this mixture over the warm eggplants to allow them to soak all the flavours.
9. Roast chickpeas: Preheat oven to 400°F.
10. Toss the chickpeas with oil and spices. Spread on aluminum lined baking tray evenly.
11. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes, then let cool on counter.
12. Prepare yogurt: Stir all the ingredients together in a bowl. Place in fridge until ready to use.
13. Toast pita bread: Preheat oven to 400°F.
14. Cut the pita bread into squares and place on aluminum lined baking tray.
15. Bake for 7 minutes, then let cool on counter.
16. Toast pine nuts: Heat up pan over medium-high heat.
17. Add some pine nuts to the pan and keep tossing with wooden spoon until pine nuts are browned nicely.
18. Directly transfer the toasted pine nuts to a plate so they stop cooking.
19. Assemble the fatteh only a few minutes before eating:
20. Add your roasted chickpeas on top the eggplant in the dish.
21. Spread the yogurt on top evenly.
22. Sprinkle the top with pine nuts, pomegranate, mint, and pita chips.
23. Dig in and enjoy!