Strawberries, rhubarb, hint of orange juice, all baked with a crisp oat topping, served warm with a scoop of cool vanilla ice cream, what could be better than this? The flavours of tart rhubarb and strawberry mingle perfectly with the sweet vanilla ice cream. A bite of this dessert brings you back to sunny August days!
Recipe for Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp:
– 2 cups (280 g) strawberries (hulled and quartered)
– 2 cups (280 g) rhubarb stalks (diced)
– ¼ cup (50 g) sugar
– ¼ cup orange juice, freshly squeezed (from 1 orange)
– ¾ cup (80 g) rolled oats
– 1/3 cup (60 g) flour
– 3 tbsp (45 g) butter, cold and cut into small cubes
– 1 tbsp brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Toss all filling ingredients together and place in 9-inch pie dish, or 6 small ramekins.
3. Mix all the topping ingredients with your hands until crumbly and place over fruit mixture.
4. Bake in oven for 45 minutes (for small ramekins) or 1 hour for larger dish.
5. Let cool for 5 – 10 minutes and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
6. Enjoy this beautiful dessert!