Caprese is an Italian “Insalata” or “Antipasto”, which means salad or starter. The dish is usually served as a starter before a main meal. Caprese is so simple to put together, yet mouthwatering if made with quality ingredients. Tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil layered together, freshly cracked salt & pepper, a drizzle of olive oil and a touch of balsamic vinegar. It is one of my favourite Italian dishes!
The recipe doesn’t have exact quantities, it depends on how much you want to make.
– tomatoes, I used large different colored ones.
– fresh mozzarella, good soft kind
– fresh basil leaves
– salt and pepper
– olive oil, good quality
– balsamic vinegar, good quality
- Slice the tomatoes into 1 cm thick slices.
- Slice the fresh mozzarella into slices, similar thickness to the tomatoes.
- On a serving platter or board start layering the ingredients; a slice of tomato, then a slice of mozzarella, and tuck in some basil leaves in between them.
- Sprinkle the top with freshly cracked salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Enjoy the delicious Italian experience!