I was really curious to try this cake when I came across the recipe! At first, I was searching for a cake made with olive oil, then I found this and loved the fact that it incorporated walnuts and yogurt! It is a traditional Greek cake served on various occasions. Verdict? Very moist and delicious cake! I added my own twist to the recipe (obviously) by pitting some fresh cherries into the orange fruit salsa. It enhanced the cake beautifully!
The recipe is adapted from: https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/karithopita-greek-walnut-and-olive-oil-cake-with-orange-syrup
– 1 cup walnuts
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– ¾ tsp baking soda
– ¼ tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– ½ tsp ground cloves
– ¼ tsp salt
– ½ cup sugar, divided ( ¼ and ¼ )
– ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
– 6 eggs, separated
– ¾ cup Greek yogurt, plain
– ½ tsp cream of tartar
– zest of 1 orange
For Orange-Cherry fruit topping:
– 1 orange, in segments
– 3 clementines, in segments
– cherries, pitted, sliced in half
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 10-inch round springform pan with non-stick cooking oil.
2. Arrange the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 10 minutes. Let them cool then grind the walnuts in a food processor. Not necessary to be very finely grounded.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
4. In a larger bowl, whisk the olive oil with ¼ cup of sugar. Add the egg yolks, yogurt and orange zest, and whisk until well combined. Mix in the flour and ground walnuts.
5. In separate bowl, beat the egg whites with cream of tartar until mousse forms, gradually add in the remaining ¼ cup of sugar while mixing and keep beating until soft peaks form.
6. Gently fold in the egg whites into the cake batter in 3 intervals.
7. Pour batter into prepared cake pan and tap the pan lightly on the counter.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes until the top is golden brown, and toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely on counter. (then wrap in plastic wrap)
9. For fruit topping: mix all of the fruits together and let sit to create juices. Serve on top of cake slice!