These red velvet cake donuts are so cute and delicious, plus healthier than your average donut! It is a red velvet cake batter baked in a donut pan, drizzled with cream cheese mixed with maple syrup, YUM! I also added little dark chocolate hearts since they were a Valentine’s day treat!
Recipe for Red velvet cake donuts with maple cream cheese drizzle:
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– ½ tsp baking soda
– ½ tsp baking powder
– ½ tsp salt
– 1 tbsp cocoa powder
– ¼ cup light brown sugar
– ¼ cup canola oil
– 1 egg
– ½ cup milk, warmed
– 1 tsp instant coffee
– ½ tsp vanilla extract
– 1 oz red food coloring (I used wilton brand)
For cream cheese icing:
– 125 g cream cheese (½ block)
– 1 tbsp maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In small bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder, and set aside.
3. Stir the coffee into the warmed milk.
4. In large bowl, whisk sugar and canola oil.
5. Whisk in egg, milk + coffee, vanilla and food coloring.
6. Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients (just until combined).
7. Spray 2 little donut trays with cooking oil. One had 6 donut shapes, the other had 12 mini donut shapes.
8. Pour batter into piping bag and cut off a 1 cm opening using scissors.
9. Carefully pipe the batter into the donut molds (3/4 way up)
10. Bake for 10 minutes and let cool at room temperature overnight.
11. Make cream cheese icing: Heat up cream cheese in microwave for 40 seconds.
12. Mix it up with a spatula, add maple syrup and mix well.
13. Transfer icing to a piping bag and snip a tiny opening.
14. Drizzle the icing over the donuts and place them in the fridge for an hour.
15. Enjoy! Store the rest in an airtight container in the fridge.