This Carrot Bread Loaf is the ultimate superfood! It is packed with carrots, walnuts, seeds, raisins and warm spices. All the great flavours we love from carrot cake, but made in a much healthier way! It tastes amazing on its own, but a little smear of cream cheese takes it to a whole other level! Recipe follows
Recipe for the Ultimate Carrot Bread Loaf:
– 2 cups grated carrots, well packed, from 3 medium carrots
– ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
– ½ cup maple syrup
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 2 tbsp canola oil
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– ½ tsp nutmeg
– ¼ tsp ground ginger
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp baking soda
– ½ tsp salt
– 1 cup whole wheat flour (spooned and leveled, not too packed)
– ½ cup golden raisins
– ½ cup chopped walnuts
– ½ cup flax seeds
– ¼ cup sunflower seeds
– ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with cooking oil and line with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the apple sauce, maple syrup, vanilla and oil together.
3. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, salt and whisk well.
4. Using spatula, fold in grated carrots.
5. Fold in flour and raisins just until combined, do not overmix batter.
6. In a small separate bowl, mix the walnuts, flax seeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds together. Leave aside a ¼ cup from this mixture for the topping, and fold in the rest into the carrot loaf batter.
7. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan, and sprinkle the top with ¼ cup of the reserved mixed seeds.
8. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the edges are browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Let cool completely before removing from pan.
10. Slice the carrot loaf, top with a smear of cream cheese, and some jam if desired!
11. Enjoy this delicious healthy treat with some coffee or tea!