This ain’t your traditional pie, since there is only dough on top and none on the bottom. Honestly, I feel like the lattice top is the best part of the pie crust anyways! It makes the recipe easier since there is less dough to make! The filling is not too classic either, since it’s lower in sugar but I love it! I don’t have a huge sweet tooth so the mixture of apples, cranberries, pecans and orange zest (that really brings the flavours together) is a perfect balance! This requires a little rolling and elbow grease but is definitely worth it! Give it a try 🙂 Recipe follows:
Recipe for Apple Cranberry Pecan Pie:
Dough recipe altered from: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/268894/lattice-topped-apple-pie/
– ½ cup all-purpose flour
– ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
– 3 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into tiny cubes
– 3 to 4 tbsp cold water
– 3 granny smith apples, cored and cut into thin slices
– 1 ½ cups cranberries, thawed from frozen
– ½ cup chopped pecans
– ¼ cup granulated sugar
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– ¼ tsp nutmeg
– 1/8 tsp ground cloves
– Zest from 1 orange, around 1 tbsp zest
– 2 tbsp cornstarch
Egg wash: 1 egg, whisked
1. Make dough: In a large bowl, mix flours together. Add the butter cubes and incorporate together with hands until it resembles coarse crumbs. This technique is called “sablé”. Add water, 1 tbsp at a time, while mixing and kneading until a dough forms. Wrap with plastic wrap and set aside on counter.
2. Make filling: In a large bowl, toss the apple slices, cranberries, pecans, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, orange zest, and cornstarch together well. Place this mixture into a 9-inch pie dish.
3. Preheat oven to 375°F.
4. Roll out dough into a long rectangle and cut strips (about ½ inch wide). Place onto the filling into a lattice shape. See video here of how to make that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKPbLXhAHbc
5. Brush the top of the dough with egg wash.
6. Bake in oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool slightly.
7. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Sooo freaking delicious!