“Pad Thai is a stir-fried rice noodle dish commonly served as a street food and at most restaurants in Thailand as part of the country’s cuisine. It is typically made with rice noodles, shrimp, chicken, beef or tofu, peanuts, a scrambled egg, and bean sprouts, among other vegetables. The ingredients are sautéed together in a wok, which creates even heat distribution. Once the dish is completed it is tossed in pad thai sauce, which gives the dish its signature tangy salty flavor with a hint of sweetness.” – Wikipedia.
That is pretty much the story of Pad Thai! I decided to make mine vegan (so without the egg), with tofu and lots of vegetables! The peanut sauce is what makes this dish a Pad Thai, it is absolutely delicious with a sort of sweet-salty flavour combination!
Recipe for Vegan Tofu Pad Thai:
Thai peanut sauce:
– ¼ cup natural peanut butter
– 1/3 cup soy sauce
– 2 tbsp sriracha
– 2 tbsp honey
– 2 tbsp sesame oil
– 1 tbsp rice vinegar
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 2 tbsp fresh lime juice (from 1 lime)
– 1 red bell pepper, julienned
– ½ carrot, julienned
– ¼ small red cabbage, shredded
– Rice noodles
– 1 package tofu, in cubes
– Canola oil
– chopped toasted peanuts
– green onions, diagonal slices
– coriander leaves
– basil leaves
1. Make peanut sauce: In a small heatproof bowl, whisk the sauce ingredients together and heat in the microwave for 1 minute. Set aside.
2. Prepare vegetables and set aside.
3. Cook noodles: Place rice noodles in a large dish or pot, add enough boiling water to completely cover. Let the noodles soak until soft and ready. Drain them from the warm water and keep them in cold water until ready to use.
4. Sear tofu: Add some canola oil to a frying pan. Heat to medium-high and once the pan is hot, add tofu cubes. Cook on the first side then flip them to cook on the other side. Let them sear nicely and get golden brown.
5. Assemble: Drain the noodles from the water. Heat up the sauce again in the microwave and pour over the rice noodles. Toss together and mix in the vegetables.
6. Place on a plate, add tofu cubes, peanuts, green onions, coriander and basil leaves.
7. Enjoy this amazing flavourful dish!