This vegetarian chili is so easy to make and so absolutely delicious and flavourful! It’s literally everything you want when you think of a comfort food. Maybe that’s just my opinion because I just love Mexican food and the spices they use in general. However, I believe it can be enjoyed my many people! The recipe follows, give it a try!
Recipe for Kidney Bean Lentil Chili:
Altered from: https://minimalistbaker.com/1-pot-red-lentil-chili/
– 2 tbsp canola oil
– 1 medium yellow onion, diced
– 1 medium red or orange bell pepper, diced
– 1 small jalapeno, minced
– 4 garlic cloves, minced
– ½ tsp salt (divided in half)
– ½ tsp black pepper (divided in half)
– ½ tbsp chili powder
– ½ tbsp ground cumin
– ½ tbsp paprika
– 1 large can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, or 2 small cans (15 oz)
– 3 tbsp tomato paste
– 2 cups water, plus more if needed
– ¾ cup dry red lentils (rinsed in cold water)
– 2 cans red kidney beans (15 oz each)
– 1 can corn (12 or 15 oz), drained and rinsed
– shredded cheddar cheese
– avocado cubes
– sour cream
– jalapeno slices
– corn chips
1. Heat oil in large pot, sweat onions and peppers while stirring.
2. Stir in jalapeno, garlic, half the salt and pepper, cook slightly.
3. Add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, water and stir. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
4. Once it boils, add lentils, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add kidney beans, corn, remaining salt and pepper.
6. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Taste the chili and add more salt, pepper or chili powder to your liking.
8. Serve warm chili in bowls, topped with cheddar, avocado, sour cream, cilantro and jalapeno slices, with corn chips on the side to dip into.
9. Dig in and enjoy this deliciously flavourful comforting chili!
10. Store leftovers in fridge for 5 days, or in freezer for 1 month.