Crisp veggies, soy marinated tofu & light ginger dressing, one of the most delicious and freshest salads you will ever eat! The tofu is delicately flavoured; marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, brown sugar, warm water and sesame oil. The vegetables are fresh, crisp, colorful and super nutritious. Together, these make the greatest mix!
Recipe for Fresh Tofu Salad:
– 1 package firm tofu (350 g), cut into cubes
– ½ cup warm water
– 2 tbsp light brown sugar
– ¼ cup soy sauce
– 2 tbsp sesame oil
– ¼ cup (raw) brown rice, then cooked
– 1 carrot, grated
– ¼ small red cabbage, shredded
– 200g fresh snow peas, sliced (or edamame pods)
– ¼ English cucumber, in cubes
– 1 avocado, in cubes
– 3 green onions (only green parts, sliced
– sesame seeds for topping
– basil leaves for topping
– ½ cup of the tofu marinade
– 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
– 2 tbsp rice vinegar
1. Place cubes of tofu in large Tupperware or shallow dish.
2. Stir together warm water and brown sugar until well dissolved, then stir in soy sauce and sesame oil.
3. Pour marinade over tofu cubes, making sure they are all well soaked. Cover and place in fridge for 4 hours minimum, to 8 hours max.
4. Prepare all of your ingredients; Cook rice and let cool, cut veggies, etc.
5. Remove the tofu from its marinade, save ½ cup of the marinade for the dressing and discard the rest.
6. To make the dressing, whisk together the rice vinegar, ginger and reserved marinade.
7. When ready to serve, toss together all of the veggies, rice and tofu with some of the dressing (you may not use all of the dressing, mix and add more to your liking)
8. Serve in a large bowl, top with sesame seeds and basil leaves and enjoy!
9. Makes quite a large quantity of salad, the leftovers still taste great after a couple of days in the fridge!